Pregnant Nightmares
Monday, November 21, 2011
Last night Andrey had to work till morning so I slept alone for the first time in a long while. Waking up by my lonesome is alien to me and perhaps the reason for such the vivid, crazy, yet realistic dream that concocted itself during REM sleep.
The dream started with a visit to my OBGYN where my cervix was dilated to 5 cm (usually they don't check for dilation till week 36, but dreams are uncanny) by which I was to go into labor. I panicked and phoned my husband to rush to the hospital STAT. On the other end of the line he replied, "I'm really busy with work." A reaction I didn't anticipate so I hung up yet expected him to be in the hospital within 15 minutes. When he didn't show I phoned him and this time a woman answered. The background noise was of music and hushed chattering as though in a restaurant setting. I asked to speak to my husband and she gladly handed him the phone. Upon asking who the woman was he replied with, "Look, I decided to take the rest of the day off to relax." Apparently he was on a date with this other woman while I, his wife, was in the hospital about to give birth to his child. I screamed a couple of unpleasant things and then the dream ended.
This morning the hormones got the best of me so I told him the dreaded dream. Even though in reality he's not capable of doing such irresponsible acts, it still felt real. He was very understanding - he held me, reassured that he Loves me, that there will be no other woman, and that he'll be there for the birth of our child.
Perhaps this dream also surfaced because I feel like an unattractive cow bursting at the seams. It also didn't help that I just finished reading a great thriller novel about political espionage mingled with covert romantic trysts. But it amazes me that the pregnant mind is profoundly impressionable - and mixed with hormones it can be an awful combination.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

waiting for Alina to wake up to feed now and catching up on your blog. This post reminded me of numerous dreams I had while being pregnant, where Alex is leaving me. For some reason we were always in college, so strange... Glad I didn't have those since I had Alina :)
ReplyDelete