![]() |
| WAAAAAAA!!! Maksim crying. |
My brother and I went to Sam's Club and Target this evening to purchase bulk diapers and *formula while Andrey slept in bed. Hhhmmmpphhhttt...
Anyway, it was amazing how many parents were out and about with their army of kids while temperatures read below freezing. It was intimidating. With my family helping, I still feel like I can't keep up with sleep and basically everything else. Sometimes I feel guilty leaving Maks with my family while I catch up on sleep, go out shopping for his supplies, or having him out of my sight. So I look at those parents with an army of kids and wonder how in the world they do it? How can they keep sane toting around and dealing with the chaos of screaming and demanding kids? I only have one baby and he's a lot of work. At times I just want to scream - but I wouldn't trade being a mommy to my previous lifestyle where my focus was on my needs.
My friend, Sandy, found an article online called, Ever wonder what new moms do all day? Some of it is so spot on that I no longer feel bad about some of my inner monologues. There are some mentioned below that don't pertain to me, but I can definitely relate.
EVER WONDER WHAT
NEW MOMS DO ALL DAY
By Karela Taylor
NEW MOMS DO ALL DAY
By Karela Taylor
To get an idea, here is a breakdown of a typical day:
3 a.m. Wake up to baby’s cries. Nurse while silently cursing sleeping husband.
4 a.m. Lie down. Baby whimpers. Try not to think evil thoughts.
5 a.m. Fall asleep.
6 a.m. Wake up to baby’s cries. Nurse while loudly cursing sleeping husband.
7 a.m. Think about mailing Christmas thank you notes I wrote three weeks ago. Feel overwhelmed. Make faces at baby instead.
8 a.m. Think about brushing teeth. Feel overwhelmed. Make faces at baby instead.
9 a.m. Nurse while listening to morning news. Remember a time when I used to care.
10 a.m. Make faces at baby. Try to make baby smile. Baby is unimpressed.
11 a.m. Nurse while watching People’s Court. Think about dwindling saving’s account. Wonder if there’s anyone I can sue.
12 p.m. Read page 36 of book I’ve been reading for last eight weeks.
1 p.m. Baby naps. Think about eating lunch. Think about doing laundry. Think about showering. Feel overwhelmed. Fall asleep instead.
2 p.m. Eat leftover pizza. Nurse baby while watching Maury. Be glad I know who the father is.
3 p.m. Decide to go for a walk with baby. Mentally review preparations required to leave the house. Feel overwhelmed.
4:30 p.m. Finish preparations required to leave the house. Leave the house.
4:45 p.m. Sun sets. Temperature drops to below freezing. Return home. Make mental note to have next baby in June.
5 p.m. Read page 37 of book. Not sure what is going on. Reread page 36.
6 p.m. Begin to make dinner; stop to nurse.
7 p.m. Resume making dinner; stop to nurse.
8 p.m. Resume making dinner; stop to nurse.
8:30 p.m. Order pizza. Am asked if I want “the usual.”
9 p.m. Begin bedtime preparations. Resolve to have baby asleep by 9:30.
11 p.m. Baby falls asleep. Feel sense of boundless freedom. Think about watching a movie. Think about reading book. Think about having a conversation with husband that doesn’t involve the word “poop.”
11:01 p.m. Pour a glass of wine.
11:02 p.m. Fall asleep.
It must be the natural order of things for the dad to sleep while the mom feeds and tends to the babies. For your enjoyment, and for humor's sake, here is a video of the ubiquitous order in nature:
*formula - as much as I want to feed our baby only breast milk, I can't seem to keep up with his demands. He is a big boy and demands 30+ oz of milk a day.

Now you know why we are all smirking at you guys at our last gathering at Shirley's. ;-) We know how hard it is, and we knew what you and Dre were in for. I remember your dad saying to Andrew and myself that the real reason that we wanted to see Arthur and Becky, and Brian and Misty get pregnant was so that they could suffer too. ;-) Children are a lot of fun, but parenting is hands down the hardest (and most rewarding) job on the planet. It does get easier!!! They are precious at this age, but at the same time they are a tremendous amount of work. Don't compare yourself to anybody or your baby. My great aunt gave me the best advice when Sam was born and that was to imagine I was on an island alone with her, no clocks, no comparisons--just me and her doing our very best. Love, hugs, and prayers! Autumn
ReplyDeleteHa ha... that's typical of my dad to say. I saw the smiles on all your faces and remember saying, "HEY!!" lol. It IS very hard since I constantly compare myself to my mom and how Maksim stops crying the minute she holds him. But then I failed to realize that she's an experienced mom and I shouldn't compare. :-) Thanks for all the prayers again... we are really blessed. <3
DeleteGlad I am not the only one who could relate to that, lol! So thankful that things have already started getting easier!
ReplyDeleteIt does get easier doesn't it? You thinking of baby #2 yet?
Delete