Our baby boy is one month old today! It literally feels like it was just yesterday when we brought him home from the hospital. In one month's time he gained almost two pounds (almost 12 lbs) and grew a little over one inch (almost 23 inches).
Honestly, the first month was rough! Many new parents can attest to this, but Andrey and I had it tougher - especially in the emotional side of raising up our baby with a heart condition, Pulmonary Stenosis.
If you've been following our baby, we've had many visits to his pediatrician and to his cardiologists. It's tough knowing your child has a congenital heart condition and you can't do anything about it. It's even tougher to see such an innocent infant go through so much that you wish you could suffer the pain instead. But nonetheless, the inevitable balloon angioplasty was finally performed yesterday at the University Pediatric Cardiology Center.
On Wednesday, January 18, 2012, we went to the hospital for Maksim's screening. They took him to the lab to draw blood from his arm and from the heel of his feet. He screamed and cried the whole time and as a mother, it was painful to endure. Dr. O then explained the procedure and tried his best to console us as concerned parents. The main cardiologists who performed the catheterization, Dr. H and Dr. D then came in to give the details, the risks, and answered our questions. All three pediatric cardiologists listened to Maksim's heart and then gave him a thorough examination. Afterwards Dr. O gave us a tour of the OR where the procedure will be done. We went home after that.
The following day, Thursday, January 19, 2012, we arrived at the hospital at 6:30 A.M. for Maksim's procedure. As soon as we got there the nurse gave me a pager that sent text messages of updates throughout the surgery. This was wonderful since it kept my anxiety at bay.
The wait before the surgery was unbearable. Maksim was in my arms while I constantly prayed for a successful surgery - for a miracle. I kept my composure until Dre got up from his seat, walked around the room towards the box of Kleenex and wiped the tears from his eyes. It was extremely difficult and stressful.
At 7:30 A.M. the anesthesiologist came in to explain the anesthetic procedure; at 7:45 A.M. shes took him to the OR. I didn't want to let my son go, I held him tight, said another prayer, told him that I loved him and then kissed him before handing him over. Dre hugged me as we said another prayer.
At 10:45 A.M. the surgery was over.
We spent the whole day at the hospital expecting to stay overnight but to make the long story short, Maksim's procedure was a success. AMEN!!! As soon as he got out of the OR, he was taken to the anesthesiology recovery center where he was monitored. He drank about 45 CC's of Pedialite to make sure he was stable. After an hour and a half, we finally got to our room where they further monitored him: vitals, ECHO, and EKG.
Pardon the pictures below, I only had my mobile camera at hand.
![]() | |
| Andrey holding down Maksim's legs at the anesthesiology recovery center to make sure that the catheter site would not bleed excessively. We held him down for six hours. |
![]() | ||
| Here is Maksim at our hospital room getting an EKG done. |
![]() |
| Maksim resting peacefully a few hours after we were discharged. |
The outcome of the procedure was wonderful news. We are very thankful for modern medicine, the wonderful doctors and nurses, friends and family who continuously supported and prayed for us, and most of all, GOD.
Throughout this whole experience, I kept praying to God for a miracle - but there already was a miracle all along, my baby boy. He is a miracle. We are extremely blessed.
Before I formed you in the womb I knew you,
before you were born I set you apart;
- Jeremiah 1:5 -
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "
plans to
prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
- Jeremiah 20:11 -



This is wonderful news and surely a miracle!
ReplyDeleteI am very happy!
Im so glad it went well!
ReplyDeleteI can't wait to meet your little boy!!