Run a 5k Race ✓

Thursday, September 26, 2013

I always wanted to join a race but never got around to doing it. Each year I'd promise to join but procrastination always ensued until it was too late to register. This year, I was determined to join - enlisting my husband to run a 5k race with me. He didn't seem to mind. :-)

We registered us at the beginning of summer. That gave us enough time to train at least 3 times a week (absolutely doable with our busy schedule). Fast forward to September 21, 2013 - we picked up our running gear. Each of us got a race bib, shoe tracker, a t-shirt, a bandanna, and a QC Marathon poster (not pictured). Then D-Day came... September 22, 2013.


We woke up at 5:30 AM, got ready for the race, and then headed to River Drive in Moline to get the party started. We parked the car across the street form the John Deere Pavilion and then headed over to the starting line. It was freezing cold! 45 degrees Fahrenheit cold. We huddled ourselves to one of the two heating units where other runners congregated before the race started.

People started arriving, and soon enough, the street was filled with people. It was something I've never experienced in my life. There were so many physically fit people squeezed in per square meter (especially right at the start line). I couldn't help but inhale deeply to take everything in... to absorb the frequency these people emitted. It is true what they say, if you want to be a certain kind of person, be with those types of people and observe the way they live their life, the choices they make, and the things they do. This was exactly what I did, and I was surrounded with my kind of people. It was wonderful.

Announcements were made, then the gun was shot. GO!

It was a rush of adrenaline. My husband and I looked at each other, and along with people next to us, we ran! At about half a mile, runners were running up the ramp to get to the 74 bridge. WHAT??!? What lane did I find myself in? I was in the route to run the half marathon and the marathon. I had to haul my body and run like the wind to get to the left lane where the course for the 3k race took place... the track I should be in. No wonder I felt like I was going on tortoise speed. Crazy.




There were Porta-Johns along the way and water stations. It was such a great environment. I felt so alive, empowered, invincible, incredible! It was a high I never experienced in my whole life. I loved every second of it. 

Towards the finish line, I saw my husband brandishing his shirt in the air and cheering me on. He was soaked in sweat. When I crossed the finish line, I was given a medal. So proud of myself for it. There were tons of free food displayed after the race. I took half a banana and enjoyed every bite of it. Downed it with a bottle of water. WOO!!! 



Next year, I'm going to do the half marathon. I have one whole year to train for it but I'm am super excited to do it. Also, we're a GO for TOUGH MUDDER in Seattle for the fall season 2014. I'm currently putting together a team and so far, there's 5 of us. I CAN NOT WAIT! Going to train hard and become a total bad@ss. Watch the video below to see what it is:


No comments:

Post a Comment

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan