It's official, we have a toddler. A playful, energized, and mischievous little human being learning about the world around him in a way that baffles my mind. Basically, he thinks he can get away with anything.
There are times when Maksim has a look on his face that says, "I'm a good boy but I have tricks up my sleeves. Brace yourself!" The look is evident through his eyes and the way his lips curl up in a naughty/teasing way.
Today at work, I got a call from my mom. Bless her heart. Maksim pooped and smeared the stuff all over - it got everywhere! Obviously, grandma had to bathe him immediately. I always thought he'd do that when I'm taking care of him - turns out he's more mischievous around his grandparents because his Papa and I lay down the law. lol.
Other things our toddler does:
- Tantrums when he doesn't get his way
- Cries and swats your hands away from his mouth when he doesn't like the food
- Tosses/throws toys across the room when he's bored
- Runs away when he's being called
- He's always hungry so he cries even after he's fed
- Takes all his clothes out of his drawers, scatters them everywhere and then puts them all back messy
- Takes off his socks and shoves them in between couches, pillows, and tight spaces
- Plays rough with the pets and chases them around
- Laughs when he's about to do something... mischievous
He does a lot of other things that are cute but... hmmm... questionable. I'm not sure how to discipline him yet. I haven't read books about how to discipline a toddler... but Maksim usually calms down when I sit down at his level, hold him still by the arms so he can't get away, and talk to him in a serious tone - explaining why he should behave in a calm way. I try never to say, "NO" - "DON'T DO THAT!" - because let's admit it - to deny something is to want it more. So my tactic is to explain what other things he can do, how he can act. For instance, he always grabs my eyeglasses. I hold him still and in a serious tone tell him that I need my glasses to take care of him and if I don't have it, then I can't be a good mommy to him. Just stuff like that. He's only one year and almost four months old, but I think he understands more than we give him credit for - because he does stop whatever it is that he shouldn't be doing - even if it's momentary (few minutes), it's a big step for me.
Nonetheless, toddlers... I already expect the day to come when we'll find odd things that will clog our toilet. :-) Ah, the joys of mommyhood. It really does get interesting.

No comments:
Post a Comment